As an amateur musician, you may from time to time, get the opportunity to play a stadium or large outdoor event. Typically, this could be before a sports game at your high school, college or local event. Here are some quick tips I wish I had before I played a football stadium...
- Firstly, when playing in pubs and clubs we get used to hearing ourselves loud and clear. If we're lucky. Well, you'll definitely hear yourself in a stadium, although it could be a whole second later. Be prepared for the echo and don't let it throw you off.
- Make sure you're concentrating on your band mates, and that you're in sync. With the echo sometimes you may find you fall out of time, but if you stay in sync with your band there won't be a problem.
- Take your time at sound check. Make sure it sounds right because this can make or break your performance. If you get offered in-ear monitors, take them!
- Do what you told by the staff. Enough said.
- Make sure your available when they need you. Don't wander off 10 minutes before you go on.